Friday, December 19, 2008

BOM, Snow & Christmas

Bea's block of the month stitchery block for December - basket with fabric scraps inside

I really enjoyed the cute stitchery BOM that Bea at Capricorn Quilts so generously shared on her blog during the year. This is my block for December. I have stitched each month, but have two bonus blocks yet to do.

treasure box bag - similar in shape to a toiletry bag
Last Saturday I made this bag and tag at my LQS, based on Abby's Treasure Bag pattern. What a fun afternoon and I came home with a finished project! I will definitely make more of these.

Today was a snow day for many workers in the area and almost all of the school children. It snowed and blowed and more is expected. Our neighbor came home from work early and couldn't find her driveway. She did unfortunately, find the ditch between our driveways. Thankfully, she wasn't hurt, but her new car has some bumper damage. This picture was taken inside my house looking through the window as the wrecker driver worked to get her car out.
Sherry's car facing north and south in the ditch between our driveways

My SSCS package is still tucked safely away, but the days are getting fewer until I can open it. Wonder if we will get our tree up tomorrow? Will the presents get wrapped? How about some cookies in the oven? Yes, there's still plenty to do, but I'm trying not to stress about it.

15 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love the Treasure Box pattern...I must make up some more...I need to get some more zips!! Seems there has been a lot of snow in some areas in the US...pity about the neighbour's car....!! Do you have many "snow" days during winter?

Cathi said...

That was an incredible storm yesterday -- and now they're saying there's another to start sometime tonight and go through tomorrow!
I'm still resisting opening the SSCS package too!

ForestJane said...

Brrr, that snow picture makes me cold just looking at it! Love teh quilts. :)

Chookyblue...... said...

I have enjoyed the BOM by Capricorn quilts.......need to stitch quite a few but atleast I have the patterns.....
only a few more days til you can open your SSCS parcel.......

Unknown said...

I am so stressed, I am going to finish everything today, I have to... I hope you have finished all you have to do and will have a Merry Christmas.

julieQ said...

Wow, hope your neighbor got her car out OK...lots and lots of snow! Merry Christmas!

Quilter Kathy said...

We have a ton of snow too.
And I'm the same as you, trying to relax and enjoy the season. Christmas shouldn't be about stress, so whatever gets done is fine.
How are you going to put your Capricorn blocks together? Any ideas?

Granny Lyn said...

oh, that bag is awesome!! and so useful!

Our neighbor had the same fate,,,but I was not as ready with the camera,,,we have been dumped on pretty good!

LuAnn said...

I love the bag you made. Also love looking at the snow pictures. Hope you don't have to get out in it. Only flurries here, but it is really cold and windy today....4 degrees and going lower.

Judy S. said...

Greetings from the cold and snowy PNW! That is a cute piece of redwork. I will be interested to see how you put all the blocks together. Stay warm, and have a Merry Christmas!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The box is very cute! Glad you are safe from the snow - looks like your neighbor is pretty stuck!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Jeanne,
Thank you for coming by and signing up for the magazines giveaway. I'm finally saving you on the sidebar so I can find you again.
I hope your weather gets better and your poor neighbor. My husband did that and it wasn't even snowing.
You're little bag you made is really cute along with the stitchery block.
I'll be checking back, stay warm and wishing you and your family a Very Merry Christmas,
Bonnie

Arlette said...

Hi Jeanne! Your stitchery and treasure bag are beautiful.
After reading this post, I am quite thankful that I don't have to deal with snow. I believe my car would probably end up in worse places than your poor neighbor's did.
I would like to wish you and your family a healthy, happy, and safe holiday season.
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Aloha!

Betsy said...

your BOM looks wonderful. I have all mine traced and plan on making it in red too.

laurie in maine said...

Blog hopping Whirl hosts beyond their giveaway page. Funny coincidence: The day before Christmas I was able to take an accident picture from my window!

A truck went air-born and hung up on top of a snowbank at the edge of our yard. I think he'd had his license for about 10 minutes by the look of him. His dad came to rescue him & the truck - along with 3 or 4 helpful passers-by. I think they wanted to keep it off his record. Never did say sorry for busting your tree though :)